Wow. So...first of all...what a much needed vacation!!! Although it was tough getting around w/ my big belly hanging out...and I'm pretty sure that walking around the Parks for 4 days was probably more painful than childbirth...it was super fun! And...I must say- I couldn't have done it without the help of my motherinlaw, Melody...who took Jude back to the room for naps...and walked slowly with me when "turbo-legs" would forget his waddling wife in the dust! :)
Wednesday:
Jude did an excellent job on the way to Cali...he managed to take a couple of naps in the car...and for the most part, remained jovial. We had a good time eating at In&Out Burger in California...which...there's nothing like I&O in Cali- many memories! While we were there...Derrick downloaded some of the worship album that was done being mixed...so it was fun getting to listed to most of the album before being sent to be mastered. It sounds great- and I can't wait until everyone else gets to hear it! (You're gunna love it, Love!!!) Anywho...We made it to Cali in pretty good time...got to our hotel room- which was WAY nice inside...but very small! I did my OCD thing and got everything put away...we rested a wee bit...and then walked to Downtown Disney. The hotel was only 1/2 a mile away- if that...but after sitting for 6 hours in a car...my body was not liking the walk!
Jude enjoyed the freedom of walking around DTD. As a matter of fact...he walked right into the Lego store...which I'm pretty sure that we've never ever ever been inside! He had fun looking at all the random Lego sculptures (as did his dad)...while Melody and I marveled at the fact that in no time, Jude's going to be wanting these for Christmas! Oy!


Anywho...Melody and Jude then went off on their own adventure...while Derrick and I went into Disneyland. We had a couple of hours to kill before going to Pasadena to see my cousin, Stacy, at CalTech. I was in alot of pain...so we didn't plan on doing much...window shopping...walking around...enjoying the "Happiest Place on Earth". We snacked at our favorite place- the Bengal BBQ...and rode the Buzz Lightyear ride. Derrick and I are uber competitive on this ride...I used to win- always...now...not so much! But our crazy mad skills paid off...as I was ranked #27...and DLo was ranked #8 of the day! We are just...THAT good! ::inserts evil laughter!!!
So...Our plan was to meet up with Stacy at 7pm. She is a freshman at CalTech...which is still blowing my mind...and has an ULTRAbusy schedule...so we basically had only a window of opportunity to have dinner with her and not much else. Derrick and I headed back to the hotel to get our car and head out to meet her...we'd been texting each other all day...and I was SO excited to see her and hear all about college life! So...it's about 5:45pmish...it was only supposed to be a 40 min drive WITH traffic. Yeah. Try 1.5hours! What in the world?! It was pretty miserable! I texted her when we were about 30 mins away...to let her know our situation...and she texted me back letting me know that we should meet at her dorm. Now. This is probably where I was an idiot...b/c I told her that I'd call her when we were by CalTech so she could give us directions....I SHOULD have just asked her to text me where her dorm was/room number. When we finally got there at 7:20pm...I texted her to call me. Then I called her. Then we parked and waited. Then I called her again. After 10 mins...I called her mom in AZ to find out what dorm she was in- so we could at least be near it...her mom tells me Avery- which is on the opposite side of where we are...So we drive there...and I text her...and call her. No response. Straight to VM. What. The. Heck. So. I get out of the car...and waddle over to the dorm. This is where the comedy starts. So. I see some Asian girl coming out of Avery...I stop her and say, "Excuse me...you wouldn't happen to know a Stacy Kim???" She looks at me, startled (probably by my height), giggles and shakes her head. I say, "I know, I'm sorry, there are probably a million kids on this campus...but she lives in Avery..." After some small talk- she tells me that she'll let me into the dorms...b/c the names are posted on the doors of the dorms! Score! So. I start looking in the first section- downstairs. No dice. So I go upstairs. Now. I would say...about 99.9% of the people I ran into were Asian. Out. Rageous. I even had 2 dorm rooms full of boys laugh at me as I walked by...I wasn't sure if they were laughing at me...but they laughed each time I passed. I guess it would be pretty amusing to see a bigtallAsian hustling by with her big fat pregnant belly flopping around in front of her. ::sigh:: No Stacy upstairs. I'm just about to go downstairs to start on the second section...when my aunt calls me back. I inform her that I have found Avery...she is elated...now I can ask someone where Stacy lives...b/c...she doesn't actually KNOW if Stace lives in Avery.... You see. Apparently at CalTech...during Orientation- the freshman aren't assigned a dorm (in one of the EIGHT houses)...they have a temporary room and then are assigned their House at the end? Something like that. So all my aunt knew...was an Avery House. W.T.H. Oh my word...my pregnant body cannot possibly handle this sad news. So...I've just waddled up and down this hall...and it could be for NOTHING?! I call Stacy's twin, Sarah...who is attending Cornell...which would make it about midnight her time...I'm hoping she's up studying like a good Korean college student...I'm thinking...surely SURELY Sarah will know where her sister lives....No answer. ::big sigh:: I go back down...not knowing what to do. We drove 1.5 hours to see her...I've spent 30 mins searching...I don't want to go back w/o seeing her!!! I call Derrick...and also had several other students stare at me...At this point, DLo had parked and was on his way to find me...(did I mention that I was freezing in my light longsleeved shirt and shorts???)...I let him into Avery and he went to look at the second section- the one I was too defeated to waddle to...after 10ish mins, he calls...there was a super skinny girl w/ long hair that looked just like her...he was ::this:: close to saying "Stacy?"...when she turned- and it was SO not her! LOL...as we're on the phone- he comes to a door w/o a nametag, but a white board that simply says "Stacy and ?:LIKDJS:FOI?" "Should I knock???" "What the heck- just do it- can't hurt..." We get off the phone...2 mins later...out walks Derrick...and STACY!!!! baaaahahahahhahahaahha! It was TOTALLY her room! Her phone had died...and she'd passed out while waiting for us- b/c of her sleepless nights studying! Hi-lar-i-ty! So...we drove off to a Korean restaurant called Cham and enjoyed a very very short dinner (b/c our original 2 hours together turned into less than one!). Derrick was leery of the food...he's only had my mom's Korean...and this was listed as a "fast food" Korean restaurant...but- I must say...it was fan-freakin'-tastic food! So delish...Derrick wouldn't stop talking about it...and now we're determined to hit up a Korean restaurant here in town! MMMMmmm.




Thursday:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DERRICK!!! Today is the day we've been waiting for. Derrick turns 29! That means...for a few short months, we'll be 29 together! :)
The park didn't open today until 10am. Which is really 11am AZ time. This wouldn't have been a bad thing...except...Jude woke up at 7am AZ time...which means...we all got ready HOURS before the park opened! That was a first! But it worked out...we got ready and went to LaBrea for breakfast in DTD. Yum.
So. One of the first rides we went on was the Finding Nemo ride. The last time we took Jude on this ride...he was 9.5 months old...and he passed out in the first 2 mins of the ride. This time...Jude was very attentive...looking out the windows. Then...2 mins before the ride was over...bam- he passed out! Poor kid! :)
Melody took Jude back to the hotel for a nap. Derrick and I got to spend a good amount of time together...and just as we were about to get on the Toy Story ride, Melody brought Jude back to us! So...we got to ride w/ our lil love! We hit Playhouse Disney next...which I had been UBER excited for. Jude really enjoyed it when we brought him in Feb...and I just knew he's love it more this time since we actually watch some of the cartoons featured...AND...he absolutely LOVES Mickey Mouse. It did not disappoint. Jude was enamored from the getgo...dancing...bouncing...clapping...watching. It was great. The hard part was keeping him with us- as he wanted to run up on stage, I'm sure! The best best BEST part of the whole show was, though, when one of the Playhouse workers nose dived to prevent some of the kids (toddlers, mind you) from being on the yellow part of the carpet....you see- we had been instructed to keep the yellow carpet clear "for our safety"...and this chicka took that seriously- she literally ran from the back and DOVE- both arms straight out- at these kids. I couldn't stop laughing!!! It. was. awesome!




Derrick was so cute with Jude...I dunno if it's a daddy thing...or a Disney thing...but MAN that guy has got some energy! We went from location to location with Jude on Derrick's shoulders...as Derrick bounced- much like Tigger- from place to place. Awesome.
Okay. Now...for dinner. When Derrick and I were dating...we went to DLand our fair share of times. One of our favorite places to eat was the Big Thunder Mountain BBQ. It was a little expensive, but had lots of food and refills! MMMmmm. We were all KINDS of sad when it closed down (before our honeymoon!!!)...and then elated when it reopened this year. When we went on our one day Disney trip (sans Jude) this summer...we were determined to eat there...um...but we were rejected! It was FULL! They changed it to an all you can eat type meal...and accept walk-ins or reservations, but they were FULL! OMG. I cannot express to you how dejected and sad Mr. Logan was! So...This time- I called- a month ago for a reservation. I figured we should eat at 5pm- which is 6pm AZ time- to give us plenty of time to eat and get Jude to bed. So. Playhouse Disney gave us 10 mins to get back to DLand and to our reservation. I was pretty hellbent on getting there on time- b/c heads would have rolled if they bumped our reservation b/c we were late!!! I cannot begin to express how quickly I walked. It was practically running. Melody even commented that it was the first time the whole trip she had to work to keep up with me!!! But- I was de-ter-mined! So. We walk up...it's 5:02. And...there is not a SINGLE patron there! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH! So...not only did I make this reservation to secure our spot...but I ran...and they were UBER excited to have guests! We were the only 4 people there for the first 20 mins! Which was fun...b/c the entertainment- which was awesome btw- catered to us! I highly recommend going there for dinner...it's a bit pricey- I think it was like $25-30 a person (Jude was free) but it's all you can eat- family style- BBQ ribs, chicken, corn bread, slaw, corn, beans...MMMmmmm. The only downfall...it was REALLY cold outside- not so bad once you got eating and stuff, but it did make the food get cold really fast- which some people may not like! :)
We rode some more rides...and then watched the parade. Kinda wish we woulda seen it during the day so that the pix woulda turned out better- I left my fancy flash at the hotel...and am really working hard at learning manual...so...it's hit or miss! Jude enjoyed watching the parade though...it was fun to dance around to the music! It was fun too b/c the dancers- and Peter Pan mouthed "Happy Birthday" to Derrick after seeing his pin. Disney is so stinkin' great! Derrick was a sucker though- and bought Jude a light up Mickey sword...I laughed- we're so silly- spoiling ourselves by spoiling Jude! :) The night ended w/ some Bday goodies- Derrick got a candy apple (shaped like Minnie Mouse b/c he said it had more "goodness" on it)...I got a chocolate smore thing- delish...and Melody got a sad single Mickey Chocolate Turtle. MMmmm.






Friday:
We started our day off right. At the Plaza Inn for Breakfast in the Park with Minnie and Friends. Another all you can eat experience...it's another thing we recommend...b/c 1. it's all you can eat and 2. the food is good and 3. you get to see the characters! Jude was super funny...he liked the characters- well, all but Tigger- but he had a time frame that they were allowed to be near him. He'd wave at them, give them a high five, and then **ding** times up! If the character decided to stay to try to hug him or get a picture with him...he would freak out! So funny! The only character he really engaged with was Minnie...something to do with the fact that she looks like Mickey?! I dunno. But he gave her a big kiss on the tip of her nose- which was UBER cute- but of course- I was too busy gawking and didn't snap a picture! ::sigh::




When we were done with breakfast, we rode on more rides...went to the Tiki Room...and went to see The Mouse. Jude wasn't so much interested in the Tiki Room...he did well, but it wasn't as enjoyable to him as the other shows. Jude rode on the Buzz ride w/ MeeMaw- which was AWESOME b/c he totally beat her score! HAHAH! And we rode the Dumbo ride- which I love! Jude had fun playing w/ the lever that makes Dumbo fly up and down- until we started spinning- and then he just enjoyed the ride- which is WAY too short! Going to see Mickey was THE best. After waiting in line for a short while- we finally got to go to the room to see the Mouse. Now- remember how Jude was afraid of most of the characters...not so much w/ Mickey! He went right up to him and gave him a hug withOUT being told to! :) I think we'll keep him- he is just the perfect lil boy for our family! haha!






Eventually, Meemaw took Jude back to the room for his nap...he totally passed out in the stroller- in one of those cute moments when his head keeps bobbing until he hits the tray- it was so sweet! While Melody and Jude went off, Derrick and I got some Jamba Juice and Wetzel's Pretzels and headed to the AMC at DTD to see The Christmas Carol in 3D. We love love LOVE seeing movies at Disneyland- such a nice way to take a break and relax your feet (or stay cool in the summer)...and it's especially fun when we see a movie on opening day!!! (We saw Ratatoulle on opening day too...saw Finding Nemo on our honeymoon and...Enchanted on some random trip). The movie was good. I've been reading on FB that alot of people aren't liking it. I can say that it really wasn't the fluffy Disney that we're used to...granted...the story of Ebeneazor Scrooge isn't quite fluffy...and it did have some morbid parts that I wouldn't recommend for children...I dunno maybe a 3rd grader...and up? Not for lil ones for sure. I did like it. Great animation. The 3D was great- didn't hurt my head!
After the movie- Meemaw and Jude met us in front of the theater and we waited for Grandab- who drove down to Cali for the weekend. Roderick and Melody were going to spend time with some friends that Roderick met and live in California...We had dinner at Tortilla Joe's at DTD- which we've never ate at...and never will again. Not quite on the yummy side. Afterwards- Derrick and Roderick went to the House of Blues to watch Tyrone Wells perform (he's the guy who wrote "More" that we used for the "Live Like You Were Dying" series at church- although- Derrick didn't get to hear him sing that song). Melody and I went back to California Adventure...where Melody rode Tower of Terror by herself (::sigh::- one day I'll not be pregnant and be able to ride fun rides!) and I took Jude to see Turtle Talk w/ Crush. He didn't get it, but liked watching it. Melody and I took Jude around the animation place some more, then went to a store to buy Jude a BIG Mickey (which would make his fourth MM) and then went to the hotel. Jude went to bed...Melody and I watched Private Practice and the Diane Sawyer/Rhianna interview! LOL!
Saturday:
I know that by now, most of you will have just skimmed my "book" and just looked at the pictures...whatever. To my 2 true BFFs that have read every word- I heart you! ;) Saturday morning started later than normal. Jude woke up at 8am...which was glorious. After packing up our stuff and checking out, we went to DTD for breakfast at LaBrea again. Then we went to CaliAdventure to finish off the things we didn't get to do. We spent most of the time in Bug's Land...which- other than going to see "It's Tough to be a Bug", DLo and I have never been back there! How cute! The three of us had fun (Melody had gone w/ Roderick the night before- when they got back from the House of Blues) riding all the rides. Jude is def. like his daddy- not afraid of ride! I mean...I rode on things like- the Teacups when I was little...but my first rollercoaster wasn't until I was in college!!! Oy! Daredevil! (You'll note my scary face in the second ladybug picture...it was VERY hard to spin around like that and hold on so that I didn't fly out AND hold on to Jude so HE didn't fly out!) I even rode the Zypher for the first time b/c Derrick was taking Jude on it...and I didn't want Jude to ride something before I had ever ridden it! It wasn't too bad- especially b/c I was busy taking pictures and not paying attention to the scariness! Jude reeealllly liked the Ferris Wheel. Crazy kid- we went on the swinging gondola b/c it doesn't go as high as the nonswinging one...and Jude had a smile on his face the entire time! I love it! Can't wait til he's old enough to go on Tower of Terror and such! :)









After riding our butts off...and playing some of the carnival games (which DLo won a Dumbo while Jude and I enjoyed some cotton candy)...we decided that we should probably head home- especially since it was 3pm! LOL...Jude did great on the way home again- he took two REALLY long naps- which made it wonderful! Derrick and I didn't talk the first 4 hours. I had had to pee before leaving (which I failed to mention that I went pee like every 30 mins ...ugh!) but I thought I'd hold it until we stopped to eat...I didn't realize that that wasn't going to be until we got to Blythe at 7:30pm!!! So...most of the "nontalking" was due to the fact that I was concentrating so hard on NOT peeing my pants! I even contemplated at one point going in a diaper or in the bucket that had contained my cotton candy! :P Anywho. We got home at like 10:30pm or so...which wasn't too bad. Got everything unpacked and put away and then passed OUT!
What a great trip...I love Disneyland...I especially love going there with my best friend and best boy. Special thanks to Melody for coming with us and making it that much more memorable! :)
Happy Birthday, Derrick. Love you.
11.09.2009
...dland or bust...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comments:
Bestest birthday ever. Love you, babe.
Post a Comment