8.16.2011

...retired...

My mother.  She is one outrageous woman.  If you have never had the opportunity honor to meet her... you have missed out!  (If you've never had the honor opportunity to hear me do an impression of her- you have also missed out!)  ... Growing up was an interesting experience.  (For some insight on my childhood- click here!  I especially like #'s 1, 4, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21!!!, 30, 32!, 38, 47!!!!, 49, 52- but it wasn't family members- it was church members... and I kinda stopped reading after that!)  I digress.  My parents were (are!) both great... but having an Asian momma can be... hmmm... how shall I put this... DIFFICULT!  All the stereotypes you've ever heard are true.  Haha- okay- I guess we don't ACTUALLY eat dog- so perhaps they're not ALL true!!!  But one thing that's true- at least for my momma- is that she DEMANDED straight A's... It was very stressful during report card time... there were many pressures to be perfect- although- that might not be completely fair to my mom- I might have had some of those expectations on myself!

Anywho- tangent!  There was a time in my early teen years that I truly thought that my mom and I would never be on speaking terms once I moved out of the house.  I loved her... and I knew she loved me... but wow... were we ever oil and water!  Once I was in college- we were "ok"... except- for the first time in my life, I was trying to take charge of ME... We def. butt heads a little during that time- on how often I'd "go out" or how I wasn't studying enough (really, though- Education major- what did I need to study?!)... but I was starting to see my mom shed some of her control on me...and once I was married... our relationship blossomed... and I was relying on her not only as my mother, but as a friend... 

I've said it many times before... but I never ever would have imagined my mom being the Halmoni that she is.  It's truly amazing how different she is with my children than how she was with me... it's outrageous, actually.  Where I would have gotten "beat" with a rice paddle b/c my hair "shed" too much on her immaculate tile... my children get M&M's after getting rice ALL over her floors!!!  It's comical, really!

My momma has always been a hard worker... and in this AZ heat- any job is not a fun job... but especially so when you are out delivering mail!  Thank goodness- after many years working for the USPS, my momma has finally retired!  It's been a blessing for me especially... b/c having three young babies is... hmmm... how do I say this... not.so.easy!  And since my momma has been off, she has been so helpful- coming over to help if Derrick is going to be gone... or taking Jude to her house for some bonding time... bringing over dinner... just being there for moral support!  I'm just so darn thankful for her (and my dad- don't want him getting his feelings hurt now!)... and happy that she is free from working in such a HOT and sometimes dangerous job!!!

Mom and her brothers, the bebes, my dad, aunt, and cousin Sarah- who attends Cornell University!














My Aunt w/ Kate and Sarah






















My youngest Uncle and Jude...he didn't believe that Jude could possibly be THAT heavy!!!






















Happy Retirement, mom!  (PS- this post is kinda all over the place, no?  Whatever- I'm sleep deprived!)

2 comments:

The Breaux Family said...

First of all your aunt is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. and you know I don't give that compliment out lightly!

Secondly: Did your uncle really pic Jude up??

Third: Why have I NEVER met your mom????

kimbasa said...

Aw! Thanks, Lovie! (like how I'm thanking you like I have ANYthing to do w/ it! buahaha!)

YES! The next picture I took is comical- his face- and Jude's!

I KNOW! You will- YOU WILL!