4.13.2010

...one day w/o shoes...

This past Thursday, TOMS shoes created an event called One Day Without Shoes. Basically...people were asked to go a few mins, an hour, a day...without wearing their shoes...all in hopes of bringing awareness of the impact a pair of shoes could have on a child's life. (Go to the site for more info) Derrick really wanted to participate...so I figured I would too...why not! I quickly realized how silly it was for me to go along with it...since I go EVERY day w/o shoes (since we do not wear shoes in the house...and I rarely leave the house w/ both kids!)...but this particular day, my sisters were getting together for a swim/playdate. Now...really...this would only have required me to get in and out of the car barefooted...but I had to stop by The Children's Place to buy some swim trunks for Jude (as the THREE I bought him last year do NOT fit).

I'll admit I felt rather funny about having to walk into the store without my shoes on...I even contemplated putting on the flip flops I took in the car (just in case)...at the last minute...I decided to suck it up and go w/o the shoes....b/c if I were a child in say, Ethiopia, I wouldn't have the opportunity to reach into the backseat of my nicely air conditioned car for the $3 flips from Old Navy.

Long story short...I did get some funny looks from the .2 people in the store. I think they might have even asked me to leave...had they not seen the loot I had in my arms- money in hand. One lady even rejected my 15% off coupon that I offered her (after all, I had three of them) after looking down at my toezers.

What did I learn? A few things.

1. Asphalt in Arizona...even in April...is HOT.
2. As "dirty" as my feet were...I still had clean water to wash away all the junk off of them (http://www.charitywater.org/)
3. I take things for granted...especially the small stuff...
4. I need to "do" more...
5. I need to complain less...

Derrick set up an "event" at Goodyear Park that evening (on the website or something- not quite sure)...for people who participated to get together and share their experiences. There were some cool kids from PVC that came out...I didn't get to be apart of the conversation...as we brought the bebes w/ us...and I spent the entire time chasing Jude and watching him go down the slide...and snapping a gazillion pictures...but from what I heard...it was awesome to hear how eye opening this experience was for them.

I pray that God will continue to make me sensitive to His people...to those who are in need...to those who are hurting...to those who need Love. I find that I quickly wrap my thoughts around all things "ME"...what a much needed reminder that there is a bigger picture...

1 comments:

Derrick said...

Beautifully written, baby. I didn't know you got all those dirty looks at Children's Place and that they wouldn't take your coupon. That's kind of awesome. :)