7.08.2010

...just say no...

#78 No Facebook for a week

Yeah. I know. I'd love to say that my motivation for doing this is to reprioritize my life...which- is part of the reason I'm doing a FB boycott this week. But the main reason I'm doing this is...social media is starting to freak me out a lil (...yes- I just put that on my "blog" for the world to see- lol...Hmmmm)

I'm a totally curious person...I mean...who isn't...but like...I'm a bit overly curious. ::sigh- cue Usher's "Confessions":: I'm the type of person who looks in people's medicine cabinets (for the record- I don't...but I would LOVE to)...the type of person who likes to look through the call history on DLo's cellphone- not b/c I don't trust him...but b/c I'm curious as to who he gets calls from...b/c surely it's more interesting than who calls me! I always look at people walking as I drive...and I get curious as to what their "story" is...where are they going? who are they seeing? do they know Jesus? what's their occupation? See what I mean...? So. I like me some FB. I like to look to see what my peeps are doing...see their newest pictures...see what new games to play...and see who they're friends with- and connect the dots on who knows who and whatever. My problem is...I spend too much time looking at these things..."researching" ...or... "fbstalking" ...and...well...it gets really weird when you're at a restaurant and you "know" all about the person across the room when you've never actually met them before! (no.joke.)

So. I'm going on a hiatus. It's going to be a week long...and then we'll see where to go from there...it'll be interesting...and I'm sure I'll get alot of stuff done! :D

::UPDATE::
So. My week is over. And I'm back on FB. I've got to say. I enjoyed my time away...but...it might have been a little extreme. I love me some FB. And that can be good and bad. But if I just monitor how much time I'm on it (not that I'm on it so much during the day) and what I'm doing on it...I think I'll be fine!

I had deleted FB from my phone...and removed it from my "homepages"...I had a hard time NOT clicking on FB the first couple days...it was just a reactionary thing (b/c I still had it as a link on my favorites). I didn't look at it though- and quickly closed the window if I did accidentally click on FB. I did really good after that...although my brain DID wander to FB a few times- wondering what my peeps were up to! I DID go on FB one day- but only went to one page to retrieve a phone number for someone I was supposed to take pictures of...and I also used FB messaging to write a few "emails" to people who I usually only communicate that way (and one was to someone who was asking about pictures).

What did I do in my non-FBing time? Read books...played more...watched LOST more...and had many many many danceathons w/ Jude! :)

2 comments:

Vicki and Brian said...

We ditched Facebook about three months ago - wonderful. When we want to vent - blog. No more worries about securty or who knows what about us....

Sure miss seeing you all. Know God is doing great and mighty things in and through you.

Hugs to all!!

The Breaux Family said...

Good for you Kim!