3.06.2010

...ode to momma...

So. I haven't done this in a while...but I think it is long overdue. Growing up...my mom and I...wow...did we EVER butt heads. (haha, buttheads) I think it was largely in part due to the fact that we are both VERY stubborn...and VERY controlling...which of course also entails that we are VERY bossy. Add the fact that my mom is Korean...and we were bound to be at each others throats! My poor dad! Those "teen" years were rough! You know...when push comes to shove...I really just wanted to please my mom...and when what I thought I was doing (which I thought was ok) was completely WRONG in her eyes...it caused me to rebel...well, that's just ONE explaination of it all I suppose!

Anywho. After Derrick and I got married...it was almost like I didn't know what to do with my freedom! Granted...my mom DID still call me at 10:30 at night to see where I was ("scooby dooby dooo where ahh youuu?")...but many days would go by before I saw or even called my parents. Wow. That sux! Looking back at those college/newlywed days- I have many regrets not spending more time with my mom and dad. ...but...

When I got pregnant with Jude...I was excited to see my parents become GRANDparents. I had NO idea how wonderful the reality of it would really be. My mom...she REALLY wanted a grandson. I mean...she ultimately wanted a healthy baby for me...but she REALLY wanted a grandson (there are SO many girls in my family- literally, I have ONE boy cousin). My dad was apprehensive at first about Jude...mostly b/c he was so tiny and "breakable" (his opinion)...but my mom...was...a...freak! I'm sure you remember my blogposts! LOL. And...since May of 08...I've seen my parents at LEAST every week...and talk to them almost everyday! It's great!

...however...

This is an ode to my mom. I cannot begin to describe how much I love and need my momma. She is one of the strongest women I know...she has such a big heart...she loves her family- even though sometimes she has a quirky way of showing it...she takes care of her siblings- even though they are in their 40/50s...she is such a great cook- I can't get enough of it (something about mom's cookin' right? Even when I use her recipe...it's just not the same!)...she's super witty ("you want my fist?!" or "pain in the bucket?!")...and is not afraid of anything or anyone. She has been so supportive of Derrick and I throughout our marriage...and I cannot tell you how "there for me" she's been after having Emme.

Thank you, mommy...
* for pushing me to be a better person...
* for always be willing to help me- whether financially or emotionally, mentally or physically...
* for listening to me...
* for teaching me Korean...
* for loving my husband...
* ...and my children...
* for being an example...
* for taking me to church, even when I didn't want to go...
* for driving all over the valley for me (for piano lessons or youth group) -you were an excellent chauffeur...
* for sheltering me from stupid things (even though I SO badly wanted to do whatever/whenever at the time)...

...and, I'll never forget...

* ...rice paddle moments...
* ...LONG car lectures...
* ..."See bee see? Ohhhh, I din know dey be dare! Habba you been day-are?"...
* ...millions of voicemails...
* ...CheJudo Island...
* ...our "Bible studies"...
* ...number 13...
* ...going to see Cinderella with you at the ghetto theatre when I was sick...
* ...having you in the delivery room, holding my hands tight, as I delivered MY daughter...
* ...and so so so much more...

I love you, momma...and I dunno what I'd do without you!
(...however, don't kill me for posting the following picture! LOL!!! It's of Jude and my mom being ultimate FOBs!)

2 comments:

The Breaux Family said...

♥ the Asian victory sign!

Stacey said...

I love this picture and post about your Mom. She sounds amazing and I would love to meet her just once and hear her speak. She sounds so funny and amazing!!