3.02.2010

#71

#71 Allow my teaching certificate to expire

Well. I did it. I'm no longer allowed to teach. Legally. This was such a huge decision...one that I wrestled with...a lot. (Believe it or not!) I mean...I would absolutely love to have my own classroom again. I miss teaching so much. ...but...realistically. I never want to step foot in a school again. I know, right?! I mean. If I could just teach....just do what I do...and do it to the best of my ability. If I could just use the resources that I've purchased...research how to be better my students...go to conferences and then have opportunities to apply what I've learned...then I'd do it in a heartbeat (when my kids are older)...but... reality is...I wouldn't have time for any of that. That my time would be spent in pointless meetings...that the admin would discourage me...that I would feel inadequate b/c I'm constantly looking at test scores...that my time would be spent more on paperwork and the politics of teaching...than actually teaching. And. My students deserve better than that. I know, right? I could go on and on...

So. After much thought...I decided to let my certificate go. If I change my mind later on...I can always jump through all the hoops to recertify...it's not like there wouldn't be hoops regardless! But honestly...I can't imagine ever going back. Too much has changed...already in the 4 years since I've had my own classroom...and even more so in the 2 years that I've been home with my kids. (Budget cuts much?!) ...and...I'll never EVER regret staying home with my babies. EVER.


1 comments:

Stacey said...

That had to be a tough one to decide but it sounds like you're totally fine with it. We will never get back this time when our kids are young so we should definitely take advantage and enjoy it while it lasts!