Besides Disneyland...Tennessee is by far, Derrick and I's favorite vacation spot. Shortly after we were married, Derrick's grandparents moved to Cleveland, TN. We've been visiting them every year since 2005. Derrick and I always look forward to sitting on their back porch, sippin' on some sweet tea, listening to the same stories...year after year. It's one of those vacations where you don't plan anything...but to sleep in, eat good food, and relax. It's always hard to leave, but you always look forward to going back.... We didn't think we'd get to go this year. We'd made it a "tradition" to go during the 4th of July holidays...but since I had just had Jude a couple months before, Derrick and I thought it wise to wait....then we didn't think we'd afford it....but God is good, so we made it! We HAD to go! Not so much b/c it's relaxing....but b/c we needed to introduce Jude to his Great Grandparents (Jude is blessed to have both sets of GG's from his daddy's side and one from my side)...
So. In order for me to NOT write an entire page worth of fun....here are the highlights:
*Jude's first plane ride: First of all- whoever booked a 6am departure (cough cough, Derrick)- not cool. Making momma wake up her boy at 4am to drive across town and wait in a noisy airport is just mean! :) But I'm telling you- Jude is close to the perfect child- although he woke up 4 hours early AND didn't really go back to sleep- he did great! He took the plane ride like a champ! We had a layover in Dallas....did great then too- and slept the whole 2nd plane ride until we landed in Chattanooga!
* Logan's Roadhouse: They opened one of these at 1-17 and Happy Valley...but for some reason...it just doesn't taste as good as the one in TN! Gotta love the butter rolls- talk about FAT KIDS! Typically, I don't eat bread w/ dinner- maybe one roll...but usually not....yep- I probably had like 4 or 5....sigh. So much for losing 20lbs!
* McCain/Palin: I don't think I've EVER seen that many signs in front yards supporting one candidate! I was shocked when I saw an Obama sticker...he was like the lone duck! (Sidenote- I don't think I've ever watched as much CNN/FoxNEWS in my entire life- I almost had to throw myself down the hill)
* Jude: What a hit this kid is! I know it's part "down south" mentality....but I've never had so many people stop to tell me how adorable he is...and how well mannered he is (sadtimes- and how he must "eat well")... GG Logan ate him up! Derrick's Aunt Liz (Aunt Sissy to Jude) and Uncle Mark and Cousin Jordan visited often too! (Sidenote- only I get to call him fat...b/c he's really not...he can't help his big bones!)
* Knoxville: We went down to Knoxville one night to visit w/ some family friends (they've known Derrick's family since DLo was like a wee lad -lol and I've gotten to know them pretty well over the last 10 years)... It was McKalie's bday celebration at The Butcher Shop. It was a delicious dinner- and then fun times chattin' w/ Chelsea and her new hubby Steve (great guy, btw). The best part of the evening, however...was the trip up there! Knoxville is a little over an hour away from Cleveland. It took us over 2 hours to get there...b/c there was a BAD accident on the I-75 just about a mile in front of us. We were lucky b/c they blocked off the interstate- like four cars in front of us- and we had to exit. Everyone else was stuck...and it didn't look like they'd be moving ANY time soon (we heard shortly after on the radio that it was 2 big rigs that collided- there was a fire and a fatality...). So...sad part aside- the best part was...people were getting OUT of their cars and chatting on the freeway!!! ?! What?! You just don't do that in AZ...maybe b/c it's a thousand degrees and you might get shot? I dunno... But the BEST BEST part...was when we were on the off ramp (is that what they call it in TN?!)...we kinda pulled over a little to ask the officer the best way to get back to the I75 and on our way to Knoxville....LOL. My words will not do it justice... So. This guy...spits this big nasty brown goop from his mouth...shimmy's over to us...and yells... "The innerschtate's closed cayn't ya see?!" Laugh OUT Loud. Every fiber of my being, folks, to not BUST out laughing! Derrick even had to suppress a giggle as he explained that we were from out of town... it was then that I saw that his bottom lip was puffed out 10 times the size of a normal human beings...that I put 2 and 2 together that he had spit out his ta-backy earlier! (Do officers in AZ even smoke on duty?!) Comedy! So then after he gave us directions (which was equally as funny), Derrick and I were on our merry way- laughing the entire time...and referencing "cayn't ya see" after everything we said. It was great!
* WVHS Marching Band: Jordan, DLo's cousin, is a senior in HS this year....makes me want to vomit...since I've known him since he was like 8 years old. Anywho- he pretty much kicks butt at the trumpet....he's 1st chair (for you band nerds) in like EVERYthing he's in...which- he plays for various different things...orchestras or whatever. So...it was his last regular season marching band thing at the football game. It was Walker Valley High (his school) vs. Cleveland High (they're rival schools). WV is known for...losing. They're a young school...and I think Liz said they'd won...3 games this year??? LOL. Anywho- we sat on the Cleveland side (to watch the band during 1/2 time) and we kept screaming every time WV scored...which didn't sit too well w/ the Cleveland folks! Hey- I don't like sports...so if I'm going to have to watch, I'm going to have fun doing it! The best part of the night, besides WV winning....was Dancing Man. After the 1/2 time show, we went over to the WV side....there was this short lil guy just standing and cheering (ps- it was a very different environment at this football game than say...one in AZ)...I thought...my word- he is a little man (he wasn't a midget or anything...he just had...really short legs or something...it was amusing and remember, I need to find something fun to do at games...) so...I took a picture of him. Immediately afterwards....he starts DANCING! Laugh out loud! It was fantastic! Then he jumped down out of the stands to where the cheerleaders were...and started cheering w/ them....he even did the splits...TWICE. I about peed my pants! ...then I had guilt...b/c I thought maybe he was "special"...
* "Heyyyy Jude.....": LOL. Derrick's uncle has a very ...distinguished singing voice. He's not a bad singer...I wouldn't say...it's...more...a...chorale voice? (You have to have DLo do an impression...it's awesomeness) So...he kept randomly busting out w/ "Hey Juuuuude...don't make it bad......take a sad sooooong....and make it bet- teerrrr" at the top of his lungs....even at restaurants! Every fiber....every single fiber...not to even make a face...not to even flinch...to even hint at a smile...b/c if I woulda let myself acknowledge what was happening...it woulda been full on scream/laughing!!!
* Hair on your crack: I'm not even sure at this point what the original conversation was...but something made Derrick tell his grandma "something something heroin and crack"....and she says "Whhhat?!" So Derrick repeats...and his grandma says... "Hair on your cray-ack?!" We all about died... and that would be why I can't remember the original conversation!!!
* GG: It was so wonderful to watch DLo's grandparents w/ Jude. It was so awesome to hear Grandpa Logan say "There's papa's boy, there's papa's man!" everytime he walked into the room w/ Jude....and to see Jude's face light up! Or to watch Grandma Logan give Jude the tour of her house on her hoverround...waving to the other Great Grandma's with her Great Grandson in the mirrors...only to have Jude fall asleep.... It was very hard to take Jude away from them on Saturday afternoon.... I hope Jude knows how loved he is!
Well... of course there were a ton of other stuff...but these were just my highlights....Sorry that I made it a novel....like I tried not to! I cannot wait to go back again...It was so great to spend a week on that hill w/ people we love....I wish we lived closer.... Sigh!
Some pictures:
11.03.2008
...TN...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
So much fun! I loved hearing about your trip. The picture with him on the tracks was so adorable! Thanks for all the highlights... laughed so hard about hair on the crack!!
Oh my gosh Kim! I wish I could tell stories like you! Thanks for sharing your vacation adventures. And, I used to live in Georgia so I totally get the whole southern hick accent stuff. Them are some good 'ol boys with their dip in their lip! And the grandma comment - priceless!
Post a Comment