So...last night was our first date night post-Jude. It was also a practice run for my mom and dad to watch the Judester. They are going to be watching him again for us at the end of the month while Derrick and I go to the John Mayer concert. I've been hesitant letting my mom watch Jude. Not that she's not capable- I mean- I turned out semi-normal...right?! But you see...my mom is SO wicked excited to have a grandbaby...no...she's wicked excited to have a grandSON. She knew I was having a boy (I should have known she would be right- she's right about EVERYTHING! She even picked out the dress that I would later choose to be my wedding dress...oy). Anywho- it's been almost 30 years since she's held/cared for a newborn- (really- 30 years?! I'm getting so old...)- and she just gets SO giddy around Jude. For example...once she came over- Derrick and I had just gotten home and had Jude settled down in his swing for some QT...my mom basically pushes us out of the way...runs in the house...screaming "JUDE! JUDE" (insert asian accent) and proceeds to pulling him out of the swing...oh..btw- he's still strapped in!!! Another time, she was feeding him- and when she went to burp him, he let out a big one- and she squealed for like 5 mins!!! It's un-be-lievable! You really need to know my mom to get the full picture- but she's pretty much a bulldog- she's a no-nonsense-I'll-kick-any one's-butt kinda lady...she once even asked her coworker if he wanted her fist- meaning a punch in the face!!! So to see her morph into this...this...woman...is kinda scary for me! After all...I have had almost 30 years of this no-nonsense type bulldog of a mom!
Anywho- so we dropped Jude off around 6:30pm. Before we left, I made sure to go through the entire diaper bag and explain where everything was and what it was and how to use the bottle warmer and what time he was to eat and what it means when this and this and blah blah...the whole shbang. Derrick basically had to pry me away from the house. It was really really sad to leave....I mean...I've had to leave him before b/c of the Expos...but I knew that there was no way for Derrick or myself to watch him...to leave him for play time just seemed wrong! Derrick and I had a very nice dinner at the Olive Garden (thanks to the Brewer Family!) and then we went and saw WALL-E at the new theatre in Surprise. It was a very sweet first date A.J. (after Jude). It would have only been better if my old man husband hadn't have dozed off during the movie! (Don't worry ladies- I woke him up each time! I mean- who did the late night feeding the night before?! Hem Hem- moi!) No- it was a perfect night...except that I missed Jude SO MUCH! I have NEVER walked so fast to the car in my life! I'm usually the slowest walker...
We finally get to my parents house to pick up my little man (side note- I'm proud to inform you that I only called my parents once!) He was asleep...it was 10:30pm after all! My mom said he was so cute and so good- but she informed me that he was a light sleeper....apparently she tried to take a picture of how cute he was sleeping...and the flash woke him up! LOL My dad said he had a really good time hanging out w/ his boy...but that Jude was sometimes fussy. Okay- tangent- maybe it's a new mom thing- but it drives me nuts when people tell me my kid is fussy...no. he's. not. He moves around a lot. He coos. But he only fusses when he's hungry/tired. And he stops as soon as you feed him or put him down for his sleepy time! He really is a happy kid! Tangent over. So yeah- Jude had a great time w/ grandpa and halmoni!
Derrick was gracious enough to take Jude's first night feeding- wow...I'm giving him too much credit there, since it WAS his night anyway! Jude is getting closer and closer to skipping that feeding, I can feel it! He's been sleeping about 5-6 hours, feeding, then sleeping 4-6 hours- until mommy is ready for him to be awake (we cuddle in the mornings)! Whenever it's Derrick's night to feed, I always wake up to Jude's plea for food, then I wake daddy up to do the feeding. While Derrick warms the bottle, he takes Jude to his room to change the diaper (LOL- daddy is too afraid to do it on our bed like mommy does...hey- I'm sure not going to get up and walk across the house!!! I guess daddy still has fear that Jude will poo everywhere...) Well, I'm trying to fall back asleep (which, yes defeats the purpose of Derrick doing the feeding, if I'm going to be awake!) when Derrick returns to the room.... "Jude's diaper was on backwards." L. O. L. My poor madre. She was the last person to change his diaper. She put his diaper on backwards! LOL. I wish I could have witnessed Derrick's confusion as he tried to get the diaper off. I wish I could have witnessed my mom trying to figure out which way the diaper went! Oh my word! I called my mom this morning to thank her for watching my little guy last night. Then I asked..."did you change Jude's diaper last night? Or did dad?" She says, "Me- why diaper cu-coo-roo (backwards)?" I couldn't answer...but laughed...and when my mom figured out that my laughter meant yes...she started laughing too. Mom's not much of a laugher...but she was rolling!
I think that's God's way of saying that it's okay to go on more date nights- and leave Jude w/ halmoni! :)
***ps- sorry for such a long blog...I tend to veer from my original blog a wee bit w/ my tangents! My students used to LOVE when I would go off on tangents and tell them a random story...oy- see what I mean?!
7.15.2008
date night
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Love it!
lol! that's great that you can laugh about it!
The backwards diaper would've been no laughing matter if it had been filled with #2... but it wasn't :)
Had a great night with you, baby! Can't wait to do it again!
Post a Comment