#76 Read 50 Books
Okay...So I've read 5 total so far... Which...I think is pretty impressive considering that I have two kids under two! Haha! I reviewed the first two...now for the last three:
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Okay. Now. Can I first clarify that I knew in advance that there was some raunchiness to this book...but...just b/c I love JC doesn't mean I need to be a prude...lol. Now. That being said.
I really didn't like this book. Honestly, the only reason I bothered reading it was b/c 1. I had borrowed it like in Sept from a friend...and 2. b/c I'm always hearing the comparisons w/ Twilight and wanted to see for myself. Now- while I will admit that there ARE some things that are similar (but really- after reading several fantasy-ish books- they all really start having eerily similar stuff) I think overall- the story was poorly written. I mean...we all know Mrs. Meyer isn't a literary genius in the JK Rowling sense (still love her though!)...but at least homegirl can get me to love the characters.
Basically...in a nutshell...this is a story of Sookie Stackhouse- a waitress who can hear people's thoughts and is crazy excited to meet her first vampire. Her and vampman (Bill) "fall in love" and then she is thrust into his vampworld...all the while peeps around her are dying and she's "next". ::yawn:: Throw in some random fornication...and that pretty much sums up the book. No. Joke. Which...I mean...I know I gave my disclosure about knowing it was raunchy...but...throwing in sex just to throw it in...is so gross, in my opinion- and then when you look at the back cover and see the picture of the author...it just...it's just ew. Needless to say...I will not read any of the other 500 books in the series...although there is a teeny part of me (the part that hates incompletion) that is curious to how things turn up.
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
This is a love story about Grace and Sam. Grace is a HS senior who was "once upon a time" dragged into the woods behind her house by some hungry wolves. Since that occurrence, she has been obsessed with them- particularly the yellow-eyed wolf. Sam is a dark haired boy who works in a book store, creates music lyrics on demand, plays a guitar...and ::gasp:: has yellow eyes. Yes. Sam is the wolf. ...and this story dives into their love and how to "fix" Sam's wolfness.
Um. Can you tell that I wasn't impressed? I feel bad...b/c all my girlfriends really liked it...but...I thought it was bland. I dunno- maybe reading yet another book about the "forbiddenish" love between a mythical creature and a human is what was such a snoozefest for me...maybe it was that they were INSTAloves...idk. Just wasn't my cup of tea! :(
Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
Remember how I said I hate incompletion. Well...Although I didn't super care for Shiver (I mean...I liked it- 3/5 stars, but whatev)- I had to find out what happens next. And. It was much the same. I won't give away too much b/c this book has yet to be released in bookstores! I know, right?! But thanks to KT, who got an ARC copy of the book, we all got to read the book before it comes out (in July).
Basically- we find out what happens post-Shiver. Does Sam get cured? What's up with the new guy? Why is Grace so sick all the time? That sorta thing. This book was more frustrating to me (but I really did like the new guy)...I thought things were pretty obvious...and not resolved in a timely manner...leading to a stupid cliffhanger that will drive me nuts until July of 2011 when the final book Forever comes out. ::greatbigsigh:: I mean. I have gotten a feel for this author...and I can figure it out...I'm sure things will end up "happily ever after" but...I hate not knowing! haha!
Anywho. What's next on my list of books?! Well...you can see them on my "shelf" on the side panel of this blog... I'm going to take a break from fiction to read Revolutionary Parenting by George Barna and then perhaps The Warrior Heir or The Lovely Bones. What books are YOU reading?
5.17.2010
#76
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comments:
You should read These Is My Words. It is a change from the usual books but still very fun. No joke.
Post a Comment